How to use MSI Installers for silent distribution
For mass distribution of software, there are a few options. Group Policy and Configuration Manager are perfect examples of systems that can utilise MSI installers to push out to a number of devices on a corporate network. Below we will show a brief simple guide on how to use MSI installers for silent mass installation.
Fully Silent Method
If you want to run the MSI installers as completely silent, then you can use the following command:
msiexec.exe /i “MSIinstaller.msi” /q /norestart
Automated with GUI
If you want to run the MSI installers as automated but displayed to the end user, then you can use the following command:
msiexec.exe /i “MSIinstaller.msi” /passive /norestart
- msiexec.exe – this starts the MSI installer engine
- /i – this tells the msiexec.exe to run an install
- “MSIinstaller.msi” – filename of the MSI installer
- /q – tells the msiexec.exe to run as silent
- /passive – tells the msiexec.exe to run as automated but display to end user
- /norestart – tells the msiexec.exe to not allow an automatic restart after installation completion
Obviously some MSI installers may have different parameters but the above are the most common.
MSI Installer Downloads
If you are looking for any MSI installers, we would suggest that you take a look at our full range of downloads which includes MSI installers for a huge range of software, including hard to find MSI installers like Adobe Flash Player, Java and FoxIt Reader.
If you have any questions or feedback on this posts, please feel free to leave us a message below in our comments section and we will get back to you as soon as we can.