Get SID from Username and Username from SID using WMI Queries
This post will show you how to get the username of a SID. This will help you when you need to make amendments within a computers registry for HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU).
Open a command prompt on the computer that a change is required for and run the followinng command:
These may also help you...
- How to Mass Unfollow on Instagram Online
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Evaluation Product Keys
- How to Mass Unfollow Everyone on Twitter
wmic useraccount get name, sid, status
This will now look into the computers WMI and provide you with a list of SIDs and their user account name.
If you have many SIDs and user accounts on one machine, then you can scale the search down by using the following command instead:
wmic useraccount where name='username' get name, sid, status
- ‘username‘ = the username of the SID you are trying to find.
You can also reverse this query and use the SID to get the username by running this command:
wmic useraccount where sid='S-1-5-11-1111111111-111111111-1111111111-1111' get name
- ‘S-1-5-11-1111111111-111111111-1111111111-1111‘ = the SID of the username you are trying to find.
QUESTIONS AND FEEDBACK
If you have any questions or feedback on this post, please feel free to leave us a message below and we will get back to you as soon as we can.