How to remove connections on LinkedIn
Most professional people these days seem to have a LinkedIn account and it is very quickly turning into a marketing persons dream. I get a huge amount of sales and marketing people emailing and phoning me constantly trying to sell me stuff I nor my business want. Whenever I query where they got my details from, the answer is usually “LinkedIn”.
This, of course, is completely my own fault for putting my contact details on LinkedIn and also by blindly accepting anyone that adds me (I used to be a Facebook friend whore, now I’m a LinkedIn connections whore!).
So, I have loads of people I don’t know (and don’t want to know!) as connections on my LinkedIn and I want to remove them – but how do you remove a LinkedIn connection?
Note: It’s not possible to remove a connection from a mobile device – this is important that you know this as I spend quite some time on my iPad and iPhone trying to figure out how to remove a connection!
To remove a connection from the desktop website:
- Go to the connection’s profile
- Move your cursor over the arrow icon next to the button in the top section of the profile
- Select Remove connection
- Review the list of effects of removing the connection and click Remove
You can remove several connections at once on the Contacts page:
- Move your cursor over Connections at the top of your homepage and select Keep in Touch
- Click Filter by and select Connections Only
- Check the box next to the connections you’d like to remove
- Click More above the first connection and select Remove from Contacts
- Review the list of effects of removing the connections and click Remove
You can also remove individual connections from the Contacts page by clicking More under their name and selecting Remove Connection. Connections you remove will no longer be a 1st-degree connection and will no longer appear in your Contacts section.
Before you remove any connections though, you should note the following:
- When you remove a connection, they won’t be notified.
- After removing a connection, any recommendations or endorsements between you and that person will be withdrawn. They will not be restored if the connection is re-established.
- Only the member who breaks the connection can re-initiate that connection.