Last updated on March 30th, 2023 at 07:10 pm
We have recently allowed a few more people to utilise some of the functionality that the SCCM Console offers and installed the console onto their machines (albeit with heavily restricted permissions and they have to pass a training session first!!).
However, a few of the machines were receiving the error that they could not connect to the SCCM database as per below:
If you are an SCCM administrator, the chances are that you are very familiar with this error page and most of the time a tweak of permissions is all it takes to fix it.
So, I checked permissions and fixed some errors, but still three machines had this problem and I couldn’t seem to find out why as everything did look ok. I checked the WMI, DCOM, update to CU1 and all seemed to be correct.
How to fix the console error
This then took me to the SMSAdminUI.log file usually located in this directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog
When I looked in here I had on all three machines the following errors:
The performance counter ‘# result objects in memory’ was not found
The performance counter ‘# exceptions’ was not found
The performance counter ‘# images’ was not found
This lead me to believe that the performance counter was corrupt. So, to fix this, I fully uninstalled the SCCM Console, once uninstalled, I run the following command on the affected machine:
Once complete, you should get a message as per below:
You should now re-install the SCCM Console and apply any necessary hotfixes (i.e. CU1) and you should now find that your console will open successfully.
If you have any feedback on this guide, please feel free to leave us a message below in our comments section.
If you want to be notified when we post more quality guides like this one, sign up to our free subscription service and you will receive an email when a new post is live.
No need to worry, we will not be filling your inbox with spam and you can unsubscribe anytime you like.